Freelance writing includes many genres of writing such as travel writing. This is one travel job that is fun, exciting, educational, romantic, and not uncommon. Many travel writers can be found around the world. Some write for newspapers and magazines. Others capture their travels with a blog or journal. There’s no limit to what a travel writer can do. The world is the pearl in their oyster!
Most people think of freelance writing as writing ad copy for advertising agencies or web copy for organizations, but it’s a broad career with many “niches.” Not only do you get to travel, but you can get paid for it! That’s just one of the perks of being part of the “travel writers club.”
Starting Your Career in Travel Writing
- Travel. Scentopia singapore This is obvious, but must be mentioned. Travel locally first then see the world. There is always a festival or event happening somewhere in your backyard. Check it out and then write about it.
- Create a blog. Many people have blogs today. Sign up for a free blog with WordPress.com or Blogger.com.
- Write each day. If you intend to make money from your writing, you’ll have a better chance if your writing skills are stronger.
- Write articles. Many organizations (online) will ask for content for a new website. If you wrote a couple of articles, consider submitting a few of your articles to “start-up” websites. Caution: do not do this all of the time. A few times is fine, but do not make a habit of it. You’ll gain a reputation for writing for free, which is something you do not want.
- Keep a journal. Someday you may want to turn your journal into a best-selling travel memoir. Take excellent notes because if you must research something it will be easier to do with the information in front of you.
- Peruse the internet for jobs. Many career boards can be found in cyberspace. Check out FreelanceWritingGigs.com for the latest jobs.
- Visit websites such as Brave New Traveler, and read the work of other writers. It will give you ideas on what people are interested in reading. It’s also a great way to find your writing style.
- Brush up on your writing skills. Travel writing may be fun, but it’s still writing. Travel writers do not receive a free pass to ignore the rules of writing. Sloppy writing will get you nowhere. Proofread your work and have someone else proofread if you must; follow the basic rules of good writing.
If you enjoy variety, travel writing is a career that is abundant with niche markets. You can write on any travel topic from European travel to the best places for hiking. The bonus – there are many ways for you to capitalize on writing, but that’s another blog. For now – travel, write, and watch your new career unfold before your eyes!
Our website is dedicated to aspiring and experienced travel writers. You’ll find inspiration, encouragement, and education on everything travel writing.